Golo Diet Review
Losing weight is something that many of us are concerned about. This is reflected in the fact that the weight loss industry is now a billion dollar global industry. Unfortunately, because of the proliferation of so many companies and products, it can be quite overwhelming to determine exactly what does and does not work, and it would be impossible to test everything out. Another issue is that different programs and products take different approaches on how to “beat the bulge”. So how do you choose between all of those options?
One program that has been getting a lot of positive attention as of late is GOLO for Life. It promises to be innovative by focusing on insulin resistance, claiming that this is the reason why people plateau in their weight loss efforts and can’t lose any more weight. So just what is this program about, and is it something that you should consider trying?
What Is GOLO for Life?
GOLO for Life is a 30 day plan that suddenly became popular in 2016. It was created by Keith Ablow, MD, a bestselling author of self-help books and a Johns Hopkins School of Medicine graduate. He worked together with Jennifer Brooks, certified holistic nutritionist and GOLO President, to create the program with a focus on insulin management.
The program was created for individuals to “rescue” them from insulin resistance. In so doing, they aim to boost metabolism and help speed up weight loss at the same time. They developed the “Once and for All” advertisement, which showed some pretty impressive before and after results. GOLO for Life consists of three elements, which represent the three pillars of health: diet, fitness, and supplements. Put together, these three pillars help your body to once again develop balanced insulin production.
The Three GOLO Elements
As stated, there are three key elements to the 30 day program:
- Go Lose Weight
- Go Look Great
- Go Love Life
During the program, you will have to take Release supplements, which have been patented by GOLO. The ingredients help curb appetite while at the same time helping the body to burn stored fat. According to the manufacturers, some 200 independent studies have demonstrated that the ingredients in Release are 100% safe and effective.
The second element of the plan is the Metabolic Fuel Matrix. This includes personalized meal plans that ensure your meals are balanced so that you can be energized without having insulin spikes (and associated fat storage). The meals are made up whole foods, which are healthy micro- and macronutrients.
The last part of the plan is the GOLO Roadmap. This will help you identify the changes you need to make, and why it is so difficult to make those changes. As part of this, you will also gain access to mygolo.com for one year, where you can get support from members or give support to them, and track your results at the same time.
How Does GOLO Work?
When people have insulin resistance, they are pre-diabetic, meaning that they create too much insulin. It is believed that around 86 million people in this country are currently in a pre-diabetic condition, and this can lead to various problems, such as frequent urination, fatigue, increased thirst, and mainly, finding it impossible to lose weight.
Prediabetes is reversible, and the people at GOLO claim that this is what they are able to do. They do this through their supplements, nutritional plans, and workout elements. The workouts are based mostly on HIT (High Intensity Training), which has been proven to be effective. The second element of working out that GOLO encourages is Spot Training, focusing on specific elements on the body. Spot training has been proven scientifically to have at least some benefits in terms of weight loss.
The key element of GOLO for Life is their Release supplement. This is made up of a number of natural ingredients, supported by scientific evidence to work in synergy with each other. Those ingredients are:
- Banana leaf – has anti-diabetic properties because it contains a large amount of corosolic acid, which has been scientifically proven to control glucose levels. Essentially, it lowers the amount of carbohydrates that are absorbed, while at the same time helping to better transport sugar in the blood stream. In fact, blood glucose has been demonstrated to be reduced between 20% and 30% in studies. Additionally, banana leaf is filled with important antioxidants.
- Berberine – also has anti-diabetic properties. In fact, some suggest that it works better than pharmaceutical drugs. Berberine is commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine to lower levels of blood sugar and inflammation.
- Chromium – regulates levels of blood glucose by improving insulin sensitivity. It is commonly used by diabetic patients.
- Apple polyphenol – has very strong anti-oxidant properties. It is often used in traditional Japanese medicine as an additive to food. Scientific studies have also shown it to be completely safe and not have any toxic effects.
- Salacia bark extract – reduces the ability of the intestines to absorb carbohydrates, which is why it is also a common anti-diabetic agent. To be effective, the extract has to be consumed with food. Hence, it is important to take Release at the right time. Scientific studies have shown it also help lower levels of blood glucose.
- Gardenia fruit extract – found in a huge variety of dietary supplements. It has been scientifically demonstrated to make people feel full for a longer period after a meal.
- Rhodiola – a type of adaptogen. This means it helps to balance and normalize hormone levels. It helps to reduce levels of cortisol, which is why it is often used to combat stress and fatigue. Rhodiola is also a neuroprotective agent, which means it enhances cognitive function. Some studies suggest that it can increase average lifespan by around 20%.
- Inositol – a molecule that is similar in function and appearance to glucose. Effectively, it mimics glucose, helping to increase insulin sensitivity and fight insulin resistance. Studies have also shown that inositol acts as an antidepressant. It has even been shown to be effective in the treatment of panic attacks, and it can increase female fertility. Studies have also shown it to be a safe ingredient.
- Zinc oxide – one of our body’s most needed minerals as it is responsible for a large range of different enzymatic functions. It also strengthens the immune system overall, and helps to normalize the levels of testosterone hormones. Zinc can be consumed in sufficient levels through a healthy, nutritious diet that includes nuts, seeds, eggs, meat, and oysters, but most people consuming a Western diet do not get sufficient zinc.
- Magnesium and magnesium oxide – many people in Western countries are deficient in magnesium. This is vital to our physical health, particularly to ensure that calcium levels are properly balanced. It has also been demonstrated to improve levels of insulin sensitivity.
According to the manufacturers, you should take a GOLO Release tablet around half an hour before your meal. This will enable you to enjoy the maximum health benefits of the supplement, and to normalize your level of insulin. Various scientific studies have indeed demonstrated the effectiveness of the different ingredients in terms of insulin levels, particularly in terms of overall health and well-being. The claim is that the supplement’s ingredients work in synergy with each other, making the effects stronger and more effective.
Prices and What You Get
GOLO has developed their product as a 30 day rescue plan. However, those who want to lose quite a bit more weight, or who feel they are in advanced stages of prediabetes, are encouraged to go with the plan for 60 or even 90 days. To make this possible and more affordable, the company has set different price structures. At the time of this writing, the company also offered free express delivery with each of the plans, including to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. For those in Canada, a $15 surcharge is applied.
The price plans for the GOLO for Life plans are:
- A one month supply, for those who want to lose up to 20lbs, costs $49.95 and comes with one bottle (a 30 day supply) of the Release supplement.
- A two month supply, for those who want to lose between 21lbs and 40lbs, costs $79.95 and comes with two bottles of the Release supplement. This represents a savings of $10.
- A three month supply, for those who want to lose 41lbs or more, costs $99.90 and comes with three bottles of the Release supplement. This represents a savings of $30.
While the ingredients contained in the GOLO Release supplement are completely natural, some have been reported to cause side effects. Overall, however, users have reported that they were very pleased with the effects of the supplement and very few have mentioned that side effects were bothersome. Those who did mention side effects indicated that they were mild and short lived. They included:
- Dizziness, headaches, nausea, and fatigue. These are caused by the effects of the supplement on levels of blood glucose.
- Constipation, flatulence, bloating, stomach pain, and diarrhea, which are caused by changes within the digestive system.
What I Liked about GOLO for Life
- It is a very affordable option that includes a supplement and diet plan, customized to your personal needs.
- It has three main components, targeting each element of weight management. They are the Release supplement, the Roadmap, and the metabolic fuel matrix.
- It comes with a full money back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
- It helps to balance your levels of insulin, which means it improves overall health.
- It works on different levels of weight loss, including insulin, cortisol, hunger feelings, and carbohydrate absorption.
- It comes with a lot of really tasty recipes, so you don’t have to starve yourself or eat a bland diet.
- The plan includes a one year membership to mygolo.com, where you can be motivated by others or help motivate others.
- It has a strong focus on living a healthy lifestyle, rather than offering a magic cure.
What I Didn’t Like about GOLO for Life
- Some people have reported some mild side effects from taking the supplement.
- The product may not be suitable for those who are already diabetic.
- You will have to make some signification changes to your lifestyle if you really want it to be effective.
The Final Verdict
GOLO for Life is a different weight loss program. This isn’t only a supplement, only a diet program, only an exercise program, or only a support network. Rather, it is all of those things. Thanks to the supplement and the diet plan, people can have a kick start towards weight loss, either for 30, 60, or 90 days, followed by a full year of support and motivation.
The main element of the program is the Release supplement, which is made up of clinically proven to be effective ingredients, which are said to work in synergy with each other. GOLO has also performed a number of clinical trials between 2009 and 2014, which have provided further evidence on the effectiveness of their product.
Overall, therefore, GOLO seems to be a cost effective way to help people not just lose weight, but also become healthier overall. It helps to reduce levels of blood sugar, fight insulin resistance, improve insulin sensitivity, lower stress levels, energize people, and more. It is, therefore, really advantageous to people, even if all they are aiming for is to have an improved immune system.
GOLO is also surprisingly honest. Unlike many other weight loss product manufacturers, they do not claim that users only have to pop a pill once per day for a month in order to watch their weight decrease. They understand that a supplement is only a first step towards this, and that people must also be fully committed to eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of physical exercise. Most importantly, they encourage healthy and sustainable weight loss.
About the Author:
After earning her Master’s in Nutritional Science from Cornell University, Vanna Darrow joined the content research team at HealthyMe123. She is excited to share her knowledge of nutrition, health, and fitness in order to encourage a healthier lifestyle for everyone.