It is highly likely that you will have already encountered some of the LipSense advertisements. They seem to be everywhere, after all! Thousands of people have started selling it, bloggers are reviewing it, and around 54 active Facebook groups exist on the product. One thing that can be said about LipSense is that they have a fantastic marketing campaign. But the question really is whether the product is really good.
What Is LipSense?
LipSense is a lipstick product created by SeneGence. They say it is a long-wear (18 hour) lipstick that is kiss-proof, budge-proof, waterproof, and smear-proof. They have patented the three elements of the product: (1) the super-adhesive color formula, (2) the three-layered color process, and (3) the sealing gloss or top coat.
SeneGence understands that every woman is different, and that color is hugely important for their personal preferences. Hence, there are over 70 different colors available, as well as a variety of topcoat gloss selections. These include diamond, glitter, pearl, rose, and matte finishes. Because of the three-step layering process, you can also combine colors and finishes yourself, creating something truly unique.
One of the distinguishing aspects about LipSense is that it contains alcohol (cosmetic grade), providing two benefits:
- It stops bacteria from growing in the tubes.
- It helps to exfoliate your lips.
According to SeneGence, if you use the product every day for one to four weeks, then your lips will be fully revitalized and restored. Best of all, the product is completely vegan and cruelty-free, which is rare in the world of lipstick.
LipSense is a liquid type of lipstick that is said to be highly durable and virtually unremovable. One color costs $25, but you also have to purchase the lip gloss, which costs a further $20. If you want, you can also buy the lipstick remover, which costs $10.
SeneGence is a multi-level marketing (MLM) company. The product is so popular that many women who have tried it for the first time decided to sign up for the MLM option, promoting it to others. It should be noted that this review will not look into the business opportunity, but it is interesting to know that it is hugely popular and has been running for many years, which certainly says something about the overall quality of the company and its products.
How to Use LipSense
LipSense is different and special because it has a complex layering process. You have to put on at least three lip color coats (two if you use a light color) in order for it to work properly. You then have to gloss it, which moisturizes your lips while locking in the color at the same time. The application process is quite a bit lengthier than that for regular lipsticks, therefore. To properly apply it, you should:
- Prepare your lips by cleaning them thoroughly from any leftover products, including lip balm.
- Apply three thin coats of LipSense lip color, giving each layer a chance to dry first. Application is done through a brush applicator.
- Add your topcoat gloss to hydrate your lips and seal in the color.
- Use the Oops! Remover if you need to correct any mistakes.
The Oops! Remover also works as a lipstick remover at the end of the day. You can do without this remover if you want, particularly since it costs $10, but SeneGence obviously recommends that you get it because it makes the task easier.
According to the website, it is vital that the three layers are applied each time, because each layer plays a different role. Specifically:
- The first layer touches on the pH of the skin, which immediately starts to break down the color. This is why regular lipsticks don’t last as long.
- The second layer helps to protect the first layer by not being in direct contact with the skin.
- The third layer provides even more protection, stopping the second layer from shearing through contact with the natural environment, saliva, and friction.
The first layer is gradually broken down by the pH of the skin and the third layer by external factors. The second layer, however, is sandwiched between the two, providing protection for hours.
Does It Really Work?
The big question for many is whether this is truly a lipstick that will not come off no matter how much they kiss, drink, and eat. Reviews have clearly shown that people can indeed drink from white china and find that there are no smudges on the cup. Additionally, it doesn’t become runny nor does it smear, even in hot climates. A quick look on YouTube will reveal thousands of videos of women running their finger across their lips, showing that it does not come off, and those videos appear to be real.
However, will it really last for 18 hours? This is not likely. Most LipSense distributors indicate that you can count on it to last for nine hours. Usually, over the course of the day, the waterline (which is where your lips and the insides of the mouth meet) will start to wear off slightly, slowly coming off altogether. That said, nine hours of perfect stay is just as good, since most people won’t be awake for 18 hours in one day. If need be, you can always apply another layer.
A particular point of interest is the fact that many long stay lipsticks have a tendency to harm the lips. Many will tell you that their lips start to feel painful and chapped. SeneGence claims that LipSense moisturizes and revitalizes the lips instead, and it seems that they are right about that. The alcohol content helps to kill bacteria while at the same time exfoliating the skin on the lips. If you look at the reviews that are abundant, almost all women who use LipSense mention that they have noticed this benefit.
SeneGence has listed a number of key ingredients and benefits of LipSense. These are:
- Denatured alcohol, which is used to deliver the color technology itself, while at the same time creating a bacteria- and germ-free environment
- Tree peony (Paeonia suffruticosa) root extract, which is a plum flower herb that naturally calms a person
- St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) extract, which is a natural antidepressant and mood lifter
- Linder (Tilia cordata) flower extract, which is a powerful antioxidant as well as being rich in flavonoids
- Isodinis japonicus extract, which is a fragrant plant with terpenes that have been scientifically proven to soothe the skin
- Mica, which is a mineral that shines and sparkles
- Titanium dioxide, which is another earth mineral that thickens the lipstick while at the same time providing UVA and UVB protection
The full list of ingredients is available on the LipSense website. Most importantly, the product does not contain any animal by-products, lead, or wax.
What I Liked About LipSense
- It is 100% vegan and cruelty free.
- The addition of cosmetic grade alcohol means the applicator tubes remain free from bacterial contamination. Plus, the alcohol also helps to exfoliate the lips.
- It has received thousands of positive reviews, the vast majority of which are completely independent and unbiased.
- While the claim of 18 hour staying power is somewhat exaggerated, the lipstick does indeed stay on, even when drinking, swimming, eating, or kissing.
- SeneGence is very transparent in terms of the ingredients of the product.
- The company is well-established and has also created a wealth of other skin care and beauty products.
What I Didn’t Like About LipSense
- Application of the product is quite a lengthy process.
- Because of the multiple layers, the lipstick is quite heavy to wear. It is really important that you only apply the thinnest possible coat.
- You do have to re-gloss your lips quite often.
The Final Verdict
LipSense lasts for hours, offers fantastic quality, and moisturizes your lips at the same time. It comes in a wealth of colors, and you can create something unique by combining it with different glosses. One of the added benefits of buying LipSense is that the company sells through MLM channels. This means that, when you purchase the product, you support not just the profits of the company, but you also help everyday people earn an income and get to build a strong business.
There are many other long-lasting lipsticks out there, many of which do indeed last just as long . However, very few of them are also 100% cruelty-free and vegan, and even fewer that protect and heal your lips, rather than damaging them. It will take you some getting used to this particular brand, not in the least because the three layers make it quite heavy to wear, and the entire application process is quite lengthy. However, once you are over that initial period, you will probably wonder why you ever wore a different lipstick before.
If you want to wear a lipstick that is totally you, creating something unique to your personality and chosen outfit, then LipSense really is the product for you. I 100% recommend it to anyone who wants to look their best while being sustainable and ethical at the same time.
About the Author:
After earning her Master’s in Nutritional Science from Cornell University, Vanna Darrow joined the content research team at HealthyMe123. She is excited to share her knowledge of nutrition, health, and fitness in order to encourage a healthier lifestyle for everyone.