The vast majority of people want to lose a little bit of weight, or even a lot. However, it seems impossible for most of us to actually do it. We live busy lifestyles and don’t have time to home cook our food, choosing processed ready meals instead, which do nothing good for our health. Most of us feel like we are fighting a losing battle. That said, there are thousands of products out there that claim to help us lose weight in an easy and sustainable manner. So many, in fact, that it can seem overwhelming to choose among them. One of the methods you may have come across is Optavia. Let’s take a look at what this is, what it offers, and whether or not it works.
What Is Optavia?
Optavia was founded on July 25, 2016. The company had been developing products for many years, wanting to create a way for people to live healthy lifestyles and achieve sustainable weight loss. They originally released 13 different “Fuelings”, none of which contain GMOs or artificial ingredients. Instead, they use natural ingredients found in various locations around the world. Their 13 Fuelings were:
- The chia bliss smoothie
- The buttermilk cheddar herb biscuit
- The chocolate cherry ganache bar
- The chipotle mac & cheese
- The dark chocolate coconut curry bar
- The cinnamon cream cheese swirl cake
- The dark chocolate covered cherry shake
- The honey chili cranberry nut bar
- The green renewal shake
- The spinach pesto mac & cheese
- The Indonesian cinnamon and honey hot cereal
- The wild blueberry almond hot cereal.
Since then, however, they have developed many more Fuelings, so that there is a greater variety of food to choose from.
The Fuelings and plans have been developed scientifically. The company has created a Scientific Advisory Boards to ensure they are fit for purpose. Optavia is the latest in a line of products developed by the company itself, which has operated since 1980. Globally, some 20,000 physicians have recommended their products and some 1,000,000 people have used them. The Fuelings are effective, delicious, and nutritious, having been created to make sure people have all the right nutrients at the right time.
Optavia has created two lines of Fuelings, being the Essential and the Select line. Both always contain complete, high quality protein, 24 vitamins and minerals, and patented probiotic (GanedenBC30). Furthermore, they are free from artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colorings.
How Does It Work?
To make Optavia work for you, you first have to choose a plan. This can be achieved through the company’s website, where you will be asked for your gender, your age, and whether you want to lose weight or maintain your weight loss. If you choose the latter, it will ask you how much you want to lose, what your activity level is, and whether you have diabetes. If you choose weight loss maintenance, it automatically recommends the Optimal Health 3&3 Plan.
Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan
The first plan focuses on “Healthy Habits”, which means you will eat six meals per day. This ensures that your body starts to burn fat without losing your muscle mass. Optavia offers 60 nutritionally interchangeable, highly convenient Fuelings, all of which have been scientifically designed. You will consume five daily Fuelings and one meal that you cook yourself, but that is lean and green. The emphasis of this program is on developing healthy habits that you can incorporate in your life even if you no longer follow the Optavia plan. The kits that are available, which are all 30 day supplies, are:
- Select Optimal Kit with the Habits of Health System (5&1 Plan) $426.15
- Essential On-The-Go Kit (5&1 Plan) $356.15
- Essential Optimal Kit (5&1 Plan) $356.15
- Select Favorites Kit (5&1 Plan) $390.15
- Essential Optimal Kit with the Habits of Health System (5&1 Plan) $392.15
- Essential On-The-Go Kit with the Habits of Health System (5&1 Plan) $392.15
Each kit contains 119 servings.
Optimal Weight 4&2&1 Plan
The second option is for those who want to be more flexible and who want to still eat all of the different food groups, while at the same time dropping down to a healthy weight. This means that four meals each day are made up of Fuelings. There is a choice of 60 different Fuelings, each of which has been scientifically designed and is full of nutrients. Additionally, you will create two healthy lean green meals per day, and you get to enjoy a snack as well, albeit a healthy one. At present, the Optimal Weight 4&2&1 guide costs $2.50. The kits, meanwhile, are the same as with the Optimal Weight 5&1 plan, but it will last slightly longer because you only consumer five Fuelings per day.
Optimal Health 3&3 Plan
The Optimal Health 3&3 plan is designed for those who wish to sustain their weight. The plan focuses on balanced nutrition, in which you can consume three Fuelings per day, as well as three balanced meals. The Healthy Habits that should be second nature to you by now mean that you will continue to eat every two to three hours, choosing small bites instead of large meals. The kits are exactly the same as those included with the Optimal Health 5&1 plan, but you will find that they last longer because you don’t use as many.
Optavia has also developed a range of other products that you can add to your plans. For instance, they have Infusers, which come in a range of different flavors and some of which have added benefits such as helping to burn calories. They also offer supplements and a wealth of other tools and accessories that you can use to make the transition into your new, healthier lifestyle easier to manage.
What I Liked about Optavia
- It is incredibly easy to follow this plan, because the meal replacements are just ready to go. Because it is so simple, it is also much easier to stick to the plan.
- Results are quick. In fact, most people report seeing a difference within as little as a week. While that may be water weight, they are still encouraging results that will help you to keep going.
- The Habits of Health book you get with the program is amazing. It explains the inner workings of your body and many people have found this book to be truly life-changing.
- A large part of the program is down to being mentored and coached. It is a known fact that having a coach is vital to the success of any physical undertaking, so this is a really good part of the program as a whole.
- The Optavia community is very big and strong, and members are there to support you through any difficulties you may have, but also to simply have a chat.
- The meal replacements are of fantastic quality. They are non-GMO, have probiotics included, contain no preservatives, sweeteners, or artificial flavors or colorings, contain around 20% of the recommended daily minerals and vitamins, are low in sugar, carbs, and fats, and are high in fiber and protein.
- Most of the protein comes from whey and soy, which means vegetarians and vegans can also use the meals.
What I Didn’t Like About Optavia
- The taste of the meal replacements do leave somewhat to be desired. When something is called “cinnamon cream cheese swirl cake”, you build certain expectations and those are not met by Optavia. This makes sense, since their food is all about the nutrition and therefore low in fat and sugar. It will take some getting used to, in other words.
- You will enter ketosis when you follow the Optavia plan, which means you are likely to have some cravings. While it is certainly true that, when in ketosis, you burn more fat, your metabolism speeds up, and your sleep quality gets better, you are likely to also find it incredibly difficult to resist the smell of fresh pizza or other delicious foods.
- You will work with a coach, which is a benefit, as described above, but there is also always the chance that you will be unhappy with your coach, or that you can’t communicate with him or her properly.
- Unfortunately, the program isn’t cheap. In fact, it costs more than buying whole foods yourself, joining a gym, or joining other famous weight loss programs. However, if you really want something, you will make it work and find the money from somewhere.
- The protein does not come from grains, pea, or hemp, which a lot of people prefer because it is gentler on the digestive system.
The Final Verdict
If you are worried about your weight or if you simply want to adopt a lifestyle that is healthier and better for you, then you may want to consider the Optavia products. The company aims to help people develop better lives and lifestyles. They have worked very hard at developing wholesome, healthy, nutritious products that are free of all processed materials that are destroying our bodies and weight. The company has been around for nearly two years now and, in that time, they have set themselves apart as a business that is trustworthy and does what it aims to do. Optavia, therefore, is 100% recommended.
About the Author:
After earning her Master’s in Nutritional Science from Cornell University, Vanna Darrow joined the content research team at HealthyMe123. She is excited to share her knowledge of nutrition, health, and fitness in order to encourage a healthier lifestyle for everyone.