It is a known fact that our current diet and lifestyle are unhealthy. It is also a known fact that it is incredibly difficult to turn them around, since so much of our food is either processed, or sprayed with chemicals. According to some experts, over the past 100 years or so, the way our food has been processed means it no longer contains many of the nutritional elements we need, including the ones that we need to create collagen. The body needs collagen, as it helps to build the joints, bones, nails, hair, and skin. Hence, by increasing collagen production, people have increased wellness, youth, beauty, and overall health.
The question then becomes: “how do we increase collagen levels?” Vital Proteins believe they have the answer in their Collagen Peptides product. They believe that, by consuming collagen on a regular basis, it becomes possible to change the body for the better, from the inside. Because collagen is so important, this product can help people with numerous different goals, including athletic performance, optimal joint health, vibrant skin, shiny hair, stronger nails, and so on. The company, therefore, has created a product that enables people to easily add collagen to their diet, mixing Collagen Peptides with hot or cold drinks like coffee, tea, water, or juice. It can also be added to foods such as yogurt or oatmeal. They have been created in such a way that they don’t alter the texture of the liquids in which they are added, and they have no smell or taste. So does this product really work?
What Are Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides?
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides are a type of protein that helps the body to revitalize. It is based mainly on hide collagen from grass-fed pasture-raised cattle. In this, collagen peptides are found, but also amino acids. To use the product, you simply add between one and two scoops of the product to around 8 oz of liquid, and you do this twice every day. The product is ractopamine, GMO, rBGH, and gluten free. The product is available directly through Vital Proteins. Alternatively, you can purchase it through Amazon.
A collagen peptide is a type of short chain amino acid. It is found naturally and Vital Proteins has collected these from grass-fed, pasture-raised cows. These peptides are very different from gelatin, because they do not change the consistency of either hot or cold liquids. Yet, they do contain the same important amino acids. These amino acids are also found in the joints, cartilage, the bones, hair, nails, and skin.
The benefits of collagen peptides have been well-documented and include:
- That the nails become stronger, hair becomes healthier, and skin becomes more youthful.
- That it leaves the bones strong and healthy.
- That joint health is properly supported.
- That it helps to maintain weight as it is part of a healthy, nutritious, and balanced diet.
- That it promotes optimum health in the central nervous system, the digestive tract, and the immune system.
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides are said to be completely safe to take. However, as a supplement, the product is not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Hence, if you are considering using the product and you currently suffer from a health condition or take any type of medication (prescription, over the counter, herbal, or supplemental), you should consult with your physician or pharmacist to make sure that there are no counterindications. Do also check this if you are trying to conceive, pregnant, or nursing.
Overall, however, these collagen peptides are completely natural product used as a dietary supplement. There is not reason to suggest that they are in any way harmful. Rather, they have very high bio-availability and are easy to digest. They also ensure the regeneration, elasticity, and cohesion of joints, bones, cartilage, tendons, hair, and skin.
Why Do We Need Collagen?
Collagen is the body’s most abundant protein. It does not, however, help in the construction of muscles. Rather, it is a type of structural protein, whereas muscles are made up of contractile protein. The role of collagen is to support the body’s connective tissues, therefore. In a healthy body, there is an abundance of collagen in the joint components, the ligaments, the tendons, bone, hair, eyes, and skin. However, as we age, collagen production and regeneration slow down, which is one of the reasons why we develop wrinkles and start to lose our hair. Because of modern food production, we also consumer far less collagen than we are supposed to, or than people did before processed foods. The result is that we have even less collagen, making us age quicker as well.
Vital Proteins claim that their product has strong anti-aging properties. They believe that, by taking Collagen Peptides, the appearance, health, and elasticity of the joints, eyes, hair, and skin is improved, as that is the role of collagen. Those who have tried the product in the past have raved about the results they have experienced. Additionally, it is a scientific fact that consuming animal connective tissue is one of the only ways to ensure sufficient collagen enters the body, so it makes sense that Vital Protein’s product is beneficial.
Supplement Facts and Ingredients
Two scoops of 20 grams of Vital Protein Collagen Peptides contain 72 calories. None of those come from fat, but 5% is sodium, and most of it is protein. The product does not contain iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A, sugar, dietary fiber, cholesterol, trans fat, or saturated fat. It is made fully from the hide of cows that were pasture-raised and grass-fed. The amino acids contained within the product include:
- Aspartic acid
- Glutamic acid
The product is also kosher, non-BPA, ractopamine free, non-GMO, rBGH-free, and gluten-free.
Prices and What You Get
There are different methods of purchasing the product, depending mainly on the size and type of the supplement. Additionally, there is an auto-shipment option available for each pack as well. At the time of this writing, prices were:
- $43 for a 20oz container, equating to 28 servings. With auto-shipment, a saving of $8.60 (20%) is made on the first order, and a saving of $4.30 (10%) on subsequent orders.
- $25 for a 10oz container, equating to 14 servings. With auto-shipment, a saving of $5.00 (20%) is made on the first order, and a saving of $2.50 (10%) on subsequent orders.
- $34 for 20 10gram stick packs. With auto-shipment, a saving of $6.80 (20%) is made on the first order, and a saving of $3.40 (10%) on subsequent orders.
- $38 for 360 capsules, equating to 60 servings. With auto-shipment, a saving of $7.60 (20%) is made on the first order, and a saving of $3.80 (10%) on subsequent orders.
The fact that capsules are also available makes it possible for people to simply take the supplement without mixing it in water. According to Vital Proteins, there is no difference in the benefits.
What I Liked About Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- The product has a number of key health benefits, including better joint health, stronger and healthy bones, stronger nails, healthier hair, stronger ligaments and tendons, and youthful skin.
- Collagen peptides also help to maintain weight by balancing the diet.
- It contains natural glycine, which is important for a healthy central nervous system, digestive tract, and immune system.
- The product is 100% natural and comes from pasture-raised, grass-fed bovine hide, which means no animals were mistreated either. The source is very sustainable, of the highest possible quality, and completely natural.
- Collagen peptides are highly bioavailable, which means the body can absorb them fully and quickly, ensuring maximum benefits.
- It is very easy to use as it can dissolve in any cold or hot liquid without changing its consistency, while being taste and odor-free. It is also available in capsule form.
- Auto-shipments are optionally available and lead to a significant discount.
- The product is kosher, non-BPA, ractopamine free, non-GMO, rBGH-free, and gluten-free.
What I Didn’t Like About Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- There have been reports of people experiencing headaches and dizziness after using the peptides.
- Some people feel the powder does not dissolve well.
- It doesn’t work in some blender recipes, which means those who use it as part of their bodybuilding regime may struggle to truly benefit from it unless they take capsules.
- While it is odor-free when dissolved, some people complain about the odor in the containers.
The Final Verdict
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides are an easy and affordable way of increasing collagen production in the body. Most people have a significant collagen deficiency because of the natural aging process, but also because our processed modern foods no longer contain sufficient collagen. Collagen Peptides come from a natural, high quality source and is free of all things processed and bad for us. While obviously not suitable for vegetarians and vegans, it can benefit the health of anyone else in a safe and effective manner. Considering that it is also easy to use, doesn’t change the consistency of drinks, and doesn’t taste or smell of anything, it seems like the perfect product. It is 100% recommend.